Why Housekeeping as a Career
Many people feel that housekeeping is all about cleaning. I also had the same thoughts until I took a professional course.
Housekeeping is a sense of feeling. It is not just an act of cleaning. It goes beyond cleaning. Finding a career that fits the skillset and taps into your passions can be sometimes difficult. Becoming a housekeeper is a great career option that can be rewarding and allow you to use your cleaning skills as well as your organizational capabilities to help others.
Housekeeping is defined as the effective management of home chores and household duties involved in some day-to-day life activities such as cooking, cleaning paying bills etc. It can be done in a house, or in a hotel, or other remote locations.
Here are some reasons why you should become a housekeeper.
1: Outstanding customers.
Since decades household staffing has been working with very qualified housekeepers in order to find the better place in a house that works for their personality and unique experience. Clients and housekeepers are bought together to find the perfect working relationship which means to get a job sooner and to get busy in the work quickly. There’s no need to start striking the pavement and knocking on doors in order to sell the cleaning services.
2: Maximize your passion.
Not everyone loves to clean and organize. In fact, many people disliked that part of living in a home, so subcontracting often makes the best sense for them. If we’re someone that loves when things are organized in a proper way, everything sparkling everywhere, organizing the things bring great pleasure to mind when everything is done and that is something special in which we should capitalize on. Organized and clean rooms can make customers happy and can give a stressful environment which will make their works easy. And at the same time, housekeeper can maximize the passion for keeping things clean and orderly.
Being a housekeeper often comes with flexible schedules. That means you can still work and earn money, but your day to day schedule may flex a little! Flexibility goes a long way in today’s busy world!
The responsibilities of a housekeeper include the following:
- Daily, Weekly, Monthly Basic Duty
- Tools Management
- Requisition Management
- Householders/Occupants 6-monthly training
- Laundry Management
- Floor Care Management
- Supervisor Reporting
- Methodize Duty
Importance of Housekeeping Workplace:
Housekeeping at the workplace is closely linked to the industrial safety. The degree, to which these activities are effectively managed, is an indicator of the safety culture of the organization.
Housekeeping not only makes the organization a safer place to do work but also provide a big raise to the image of the organization. This type of activities also improves efficiency and productivity, helps in maintaining good control over the processes, and to help in maintaining the quality of the product.
Elements of housekeeping at workplace:
The major elements which are normally included in the housekeeping practices are-
- Removal of dust and dirt – Working in a dirty and unhygienic place is unhealthy for all of the employees and it can also cause some respiratory type irritations to the people. Also, if dust and dirt are gathered in the floor, it may have the chances of slip hazard. Therefore, regular sweeping the floors at the workplace for the removal of dust and dirt is an essential work of housekeeping practice.
- Facilities of Employee – Sufficient employees’ facilities such as drinking water, wash rooms, toilet blocks, and rest rooms etc. are to be provided for the employees at the workplace so that employees can use them when they wish to. Cleanliness at the place of these facilities is an important aspect of the facilities.
- Flooring – Floor must be cleaned regularly, when liquid or some other material spilled on the floor it must be cleaned immediately. Poor floor conditions can cause severe accidents at the workplace. In the areas, such as entrance ways there must me some non-slippery materials like mats on the floor because if that place is cleaned regularly it may cause problem for everyone while entering the workplace. It is also important to replace worn, ripped or damaged flooring that poses a trip hazard.
- Lighting – Adequate lighting reduces the potential for accidents. It is to be ensured that ineffectual lights should be repaired and dirty lights must be cleaned regularly so that the light intensity levels should be maintained at the workplace.
- Corridor and stairways – Corridor and stairways are to be kept clear and not to be used for storage. Warning signs and mirrors can improve sight lines in blind corners and help prevent accidents and also important to maintain adequate lighting in stairways. Further stairways need to have railings preferably round railings for adequate grip.
- Spill control – The best method to control spills is to prevent them from happening. Regular cleaning and maintenance on machines and equipment is an essential practice. When spills do occur, it is important to clean it up immediately. When cleaning a spill, it is required to use the proper cleaning agents or absorbent materials so that it dries up fastly. It is also to be making sure that the waste products are disposed of properly.
- Waste disposal – The regular collection of the waste materials contribute to good housekeeping practices. Allowing material to build up on the floor wastes time and energy since additional time is required for cleaning it up. Placing containers for wastes near the place where the waste is produced encourages orderly waste disposal and makes collection easier. All recyclable wastes after their collection are to be transferred to their designated places so that the waste materials can be dispatched to the point of use or sold.
- Tools and equipment – Tools and equipment are required to be inspected prior to their use. Damaged or worn tools are to be taken out of service immediately. Tools are to be cleaned and returned to their storage place after use.
- Upkeep– Upkeep of the equipment and the buildings which means keep buildings, equipment and machinery in safe place and in working condition. When a workplace looks neglected then there are broken windows, broken floor and dirty walls etc. These types of conditions can cause accidents and affect work practices. It is very important to have a replacement program for replacing or fixing broken and damaged items.
- Storage – Proper storage of materials is essential in a good housekeeping practice. Every storage areas need to be clearly marked. Flammable, combustible, toxic and other hazardous materials are to be stored in particular container in appropriate extra safe place. The materials which are stored are not to obstruct aisles, stairs, exits, fire equipment, or first aid box. It is also important to label all the containers properly. If this things are done properly then there is no chance of chemical exposures or incident of strain injuries.
- Particular working area – Individual working area need to be kept neat and clean, and things which are unused must be cleaned. Many working area injuries occur right in the employee’s workspace. This space is often overlooked when conducting general housekeeping and cleanliness review. It is necessary to make a checklist which is to be used by the employees to evaluate their working area.
This healthy process, it not only keep the place neat and clean in which the work is done, but also they save a lot of quantities of products through which it is quiet improvement and profitability of the establishment.
SPECIALIZATION COURSE IN HOUSE KEEPING is a 1-year intensive programme which exposes the student to the diversity of hospitality industry and equips the student with intellectual & leadership capabilities allowing the student to move into diverse managerial roles in prestigious international organisations. It is aimed at providing all round development of the students in the Housekeeping Department so that the student is able to be a part of the Hospitality Industry in the House Keeping sector.
Educational Objective of the courses:
- Create a blue print to Housekeeping
- Understand the fundamentals of the Hotel Industry, Commercial Operations of the Hotel Industry with respect to Housekeeping Department.
- Introduction key principles of Housekeeping Department.
- Focus on delivering superior performance and value to your customer.
- Teaching Furniture and fixture placement techniques.
- To make the student employable in the House Keeping department.
- To develop and sharpen the overall skills of the students so that he is job ready.
To provide our students with an in depth understanding of the operational aspects and knowledge of the underlying principles of the House keeping department Allow students to become familiar with the practical aspects of the hospitality industry and the strategic management issues involved in operating International Resorts and Hotels with relations to the Housekeeping Department Present to them an avenue to move into range of international organizations in Housekeeping section. To train students for operational and administrative supervisory & management positions in the Housekeeping Department. Prepare for management careers in industry sectors such as Hotels, Resorts, Cruise Liners, Restaurants and Catering Organisations. Prepare them for the Facility Management services.Read More
Why hospitality management & culinary arts are Best Career option
One of the most liked and favoured courses among students willing to make career in the hospitality industry is Hotel management. The post pandemic era has seen significant growth of the tourism sector which has regenerated employment opportunities in bulk. With swift growth of everlasting tourism and hospitality sector more hotels and restaurants are coming to existence. This creates the inevitable demand of skilled professionals.
With graduate and post-graduate level courses you become fit to be a part of workforce in areas such as front office, food and beverage management, housekeeping, administration, food production etc. A college with trained faculties with real industry experience not only gives you the very needed knowledge but also places you at a well reputed, high paying workplace.
ALLIED COLLEGE CHANDIGARH
Talking of the best in business comes the “Allied college of hospitality culinary arts and management” located in Chandigarh. Established in 2006 this college is government registered institute which runs under the “Sri Satya Sai (Jasrotia) Education Foundation”. It is affiliated to Punjab Technical University (PTU) and Annamalai University.
The college has been able to place students in national as well as international companies. With international alliances in USA, Germany, Maldives, Mauritius, Dubai and Singapore this college is the undoubtedly the leader of hospitality/ hotel management.
The courses offered in the college vary from undergraduate level to post-graduate level.
- At undergrad level Diploma courses in Food production/ Food and beverage services / Housekeeping/ Front office are offered.
- Graduate level courses include degree in Hotel management/ B. Voc in Tourism and Hospitality Management/ B. Voc in HMCT/ Bachelor in Travel and Tourism Management/ Bachelor in Catering and Culinary Arts.
- Post graduate courses like Masters of Hotel management and catering technology.
- Dual degree courses are also offered in the college.
All the courses are UGC approved.
PLACEMENT COMPANIES AND ALLIANCES
For lucrative payouts and high standard experiences the college has alliances such as JW Marriot, Taj Hotels, Oberoi hotels and resorts, ITC hotels, Hyatt regency and many more which recruit students. Moreover, popular restaurant chains like Domino’s, McDonald’s are into providing employment to students. Carnival cruise, P&O cruise and other luxury cruises are also employing students. The college has a record placement of 100%.
WHAT MAKES IT DIFFERENT?
The certain urge to produce intricately skilled and well behaved workforce for the hospitality industry and being the leader in doing so has been its aim. So far, the college has gracefully managed to succeed in its mission. With modern teaching aids and well equipped digital and technical classroom the college provides quality education to students in their area of interest. The geographical location of the institute makes all essential services accessible as it is near to the Chandigarh city. The institute has been in the business since quite a time (2006). More than 3000 students have been employed in the industry till date.
It has also been awarded as the “Most Emerging College” by Times of India (ToI) in 2019. The IKG Punjab Technical University declared it as the Best Hotel Management college in recent times. Special Scholarships meritorious, needy, defense personnel and girls are also offered which empowers and enhances the value of education making it available for everyone.
Features such as separate hostel for boys and girls, active training and placement cell working 24*7, tie ups with top Hospitality chains, easy education loan add up together to make it the absolute best in its field. The best academic curriculum and industry experience it provides makes it stand out.The institute claims to give almost free education to SC/ST/OBC candidates. The concessions provided to economically backward classes decreases the gap between socially built groups and provides everyone equal opportunity to avail education.
To solve internal issues various committees such as Anti- ragging, internal complaint, college improvement committee etc are formed. The college has a strong standpoint of ragging complaints and strict penalties are implemented for it.
Globalization has opened opportunities among countries making trade easier and creating more employment. This will result in increased competition for which students need to put their A game on with appropriate relevant skills required to sustain. Therefore a college as good as “ALLIED” makes all of this possible by making you stand out from the crowd.Read More
Why is Hospitality and Management essential?
The objectives and functions of hospitality and management varies from one business to the next. However, the company’s principal purpose remains the same: to give consumers with the greatest service and a seamless experience from beginning to end.
Hospitality is both a concept and a profession. The relationship between a guest and a host is referred to as “hospitality.” If you bring a friend or family member over for dinner, for example, you will demonstrate hospitality by meeting the needs of the visitor.
It entails managing the day-to-day administrative, operational, and commercial activities of businesses such as hotels, resorts, restaurants, catering establishments, stores, casinos, amusement parks, and a variety of other connected enterprises. The hospitality business encompasses everything from large hotel corporations to tiny food outlets. When working in hospitality management, your goal as a manager is to make your customers feel at ease and provide them with the best possible experience.
Importance of Hospitality and Management in Business
Some companies rely on hospitality to run their operations and earn money. Restaurants, cafes, clubs, bars, hotels, motels, coffee shops, and travel agency are just a few of the hospitality industries. They are different from traditional businesses in that they rely on strong, positive communication with their customers and target audience to succeed.
Businesses benefit from hospitality because it fosters favorable customer feedback. According to a research, 88% of people look for online reviews before buying a new product or service.
Hospitality Management Operations
The implementation of resources, materials, equipment, and technology is a part of hospitality management operations. As an operations manager, you’ll be responsible for creating and delivering a service or product to clients that meets their needs. Your job as an operations manager is to deal with a variety of strategic issues, such as project management methods, deciding the size of manufacturing plants, and implementing the IT network structure. Inventory management, raw material acquisition, materials handling, quality control, and work-in-process levels are some of the other operational tasks.
Customers may post a bad review if a hospitality firm provides poor, ineffective service. Unfortunately, even a few unfavorable evaluations can have a significant influence on a hospitality company’s ability to sell its goods and services.
Hospitality Management Sets Businesses Apart from the Competition
It’s also worth noting that hospitality can help firms stand out from the crowd. If a customer has pick between a business that provides bad service and another that provides outstanding service, he or she will most likely choose the latter. Businesses must separate themselves from their competition, whether they are small, medium, or large, which is why developing great hospitality skills may make all the difference.
What Are the Requirements for Hospitality Management?
While some hospitality occupations simply demand a diploma, it is advisable to have a degree in order to earn a greater wage in a higher-level job. An associate’s degree includes general education courses as well as some hospitality-related topics. The bachelor’s degree, on the other hand, takes four years to finish and includes courses in hospitality administration, accounting, and finance.Read More