Many people feel that housekeeping is all about cleaning. I also had the same thoughts until I took a professional course.
Housekeeping is a sense of feeling. It is not just an act of cleaning. It goes beyond cleaning. Finding a career that fits the skillset and taps into your passions can be sometimes difficult. Becoming a housekeeper is a great career option that can be rewarding and allow you to use your cleaning skills as well as your organizational capabilities to help others.
Housekeeping is defined as the effective management of home chores and household duties involved in some day-to-day life activities such as cooking, cleaning paying bills etc. It can be done in a house, or in a hotel, or other remote locations.
Here are some reasons why you should become a housekeeper.
1: Outstanding customers.
Since decades household staffing has been working with very qualified housekeepers in order to find the better place in a house that works for their personality and unique experience. Clients and housekeepers are bought together to find the perfect working relationship which means to get a job sooner and to get busy in the work quickly. There’s no need to start striking the pavement and knocking on doors in order to sell the cleaning services.
2: Maximize your passion.
Not everyone loves to clean and organize. In fact, many people disliked that part of living in a home, so subcontracting often makes the best sense for them. If we’re someone that loves when things are organized in a proper way, everything sparkling everywhere, organizing the things bring great pleasure to mind when everything is done and that is something special in which we should capitalize on. Organized and clean rooms can make customers happy and can give a stressful environment which will make their works easy. And at the same time, housekeeper can maximize the passion for keeping things clean and orderly.
Being a housekeeper often comes with flexible schedules. That means you can still work and earn money, but your day to day schedule may flex a little! Flexibility goes a long way in today’s busy world!
The responsibilities of a housekeeper include the following:
- Daily, Weekly, Monthly Basic Duty
- Tools Management
- Requisition Management
- Householders/Occupants 6-monthly training
- Laundry Management
- Floor Care Management
- Supervisor Reporting
- Methodize Duty
Importance of Housekeeping Workplace:
Housekeeping at the workplace is closely linked to the industrial safety. The degree, to which these activities are effectively managed, is an indicator of the safety culture of the organization.
Housekeeping not only makes the organization a safer place to do work but also provide a big raise to the image of the organization. This type of activities also improves efficiency and productivity, helps in maintaining good control over the processes, and to help in maintaining the quality of the product.
Elements of housekeeping at workplace:
The major elements which are normally included in the housekeeping practices are-
- Removal of dust and dirt – Working in a dirty and unhygienic place is unhealthy for all of the employees and it can also cause some respiratory type irritations to the people. Also, if dust and dirt are gathered in the floor, it may have the chances of slip hazard. Therefore, regular sweeping the floors at the workplace for the removal of dust and dirt is an essential work of housekeeping practice.
- Facilities of Employee – Sufficient employees’ facilities such as drinking water, wash rooms, toilet blocks, and rest rooms etc. are to be provided for the employees at the workplace so that employees can use them when they wish to. Cleanliness at the place of these facilities is an important aspect of the facilities.
- Flooring – Floor must be cleaned regularly, when liquid or some other material spilled on the floor it must be cleaned immediately. Poor floor conditions can cause severe accidents at the workplace. In the areas, such as entrance ways there must me some non-slippery materials like mats on the floor because if that place is cleaned regularly it may cause problem for everyone while entering the workplace. It is also important to replace worn, ripped or damaged flooring that poses a trip hazard.
- Lighting – Adequate lighting reduces the potential for accidents. It is to be ensured that ineffectual lights should be repaired and dirty lights must be cleaned regularly so that the light intensity levels should be maintained at the workplace.
- Corridor and stairways – Corridor and stairways are to be kept clear and not to be used for storage. Warning signs and mirrors can improve sight lines in blind corners and help prevent accidents and also important to maintain adequate lighting in stairways. Further stairways need to have railings preferably round railings for adequate grip.
- Spill control – The best method to control spills is to prevent them from happening. Regular cleaning and maintenance on machines and equipment is an essential practice. When spills do occur, it is important to clean it up immediately. When cleaning a spill, it is required to use the proper cleaning agents or absorbent materials so that it dries up fastly. It is also to be making sure that the waste products are disposed of properly.
- Waste disposal – The regular collection of the waste materials contribute to good housekeeping practices. Allowing material to build up on the floor wastes time and energy since additional time is required for cleaning it up. Placing containers for wastes near the place where the waste is produced encourages orderly waste disposal and makes collection easier. All recyclable wastes after their collection are to be transferred to their designated places so that the waste materials can be dispatched to the point of use or sold.
- Tools and equipment – Tools and equipment are required to be inspected prior to their use. Damaged or worn tools are to be taken out of service immediately. Tools are to be cleaned and returned to their storage place after use.
- Upkeep– Upkeep of the equipment and the buildings which means keep buildings, equipment and machinery in safe place and in working condition. When a workplace looks neglected then there are broken windows, broken floor and dirty walls etc. These types of conditions can cause accidents and affect work practices. It is very important to have a replacement program for replacing or fixing broken and damaged items.
- Storage – Proper storage of materials is essential in a good housekeeping practice. Every storage areas need to be clearly marked. Flammable, combustible, toxic and other hazardous materials are to be stored in particular container in appropriate extra safe place. The materials which are stored are not to obstruct aisles, stairs, exits, fire equipment, or first aid box. It is also important to label all the containers properly. If this things are done properly then there is no chance of chemical exposures or incident of strain injuries.
- Particular working area – Individual working area need to be kept neat and clean, and things which are unused must be cleaned. Many working area injuries occur right in the employee’s workspace. This space is often overlooked when conducting general housekeeping and cleanliness review. It is necessary to make a checklist which is to be used by the employees to evaluate their working area.
This healthy process, it not only keep the place neat and clean in which the work is done, but also they save a lot of quantities of products through which it is quiet improvement and profitability of the establishment.
SPECIALIZATION COURSE IN HOUSE KEEPING is a 1-year intensive programme which exposes the student to the diversity of hospitality industry and equips the student with intellectual & leadership capabilities allowing the student to move into diverse managerial roles in prestigious international organisations. It is aimed at providing all round development of the students in the Housekeeping Department so that the student is able to be a part of the Hospitality Industry in the House Keeping sector.
Educational Objective of the courses:
- Create a blue print to Housekeeping
- Understand the fundamentals of the Hotel Industry, Commercial Operations of the Hotel Industry with respect to Housekeeping Department.
- Introduction key principles of Housekeeping Department.
- Focus on delivering superior performance and value to your customer.
- Teaching Furniture and fixture placement techniques.
- To make the student employable in the House Keeping department.
- To develop and sharpen the overall skills of the students so that he is job ready.
To provide our students with an in depth understanding of the operational aspects and knowledge of the underlying principles of the House keeping department Allow students to become familiar with the practical aspects of the hospitality industry and the strategic management issues involved in operating International Resorts and Hotels with relations to the Housekeeping Department Present to them an avenue to move into range of international organizations in Housekeeping section. To train students for operational and administrative supervisory & management positions in the Housekeeping Department. Prepare for management careers in industry sectors such as Hotels, Resorts, Cruise Liners, Restaurants and Catering Organisations. Prepare them for the Facility Management services.Read More